Jubilee Jazz Festival
was at the heart of Horace Walpole's philosophy when breathing life into his Gothic House, and it is widely believed by the volunteers and staff who work there that his ghost still inhabits the glorious rooms and gardens. Thus, we have it on good authority that our ghost-of-honour thoroughly enjoyed The Strawberry Hill Jazz Festival in 2011 and is looking forward to an even bigger and better event in 2012...
Sunday 3rd June
Gates open at 12:00 noon
Time to wander in the grounds, enjoy a tour of Strawberry Hill House, picnic or sample some of the wonderful local Ales, chilled strawberry cider and food from local shops and suppliers. There is also a Jazz Arts and Crafts marquee with spontaneous music exclusive Jazz Artists, sculptors, poets, books, jewellery and music to purchase or just enjoy alongside Cream tea, strawberry jam and scones in the Strawberry Hill House café, where Yvonne and Megan and the team will be happy to serve you.
2:00pm Jazz Programme Begins in the main Marquee
- 2:00pm - Gilad Atzmon’s Orient House Ensemble featuring Sarah Gillespie on vocals. An exceptional success last year for this controversial, dynamic and musical couple.
- 4:00pm - Kelvin Christiane Quintet with internationally renowned trumpet player Paul Jayasingha, Ross Stanley on keyboards, Adam King on double Bass and Noel Joyce on drums.
- 6:00pm - The Three Tenors featuring Don Weller, Art Themen and Mornington Lockett. Music, humour and fun from these three exceptionally brilliant, legendary saxophonists.
- 8:00pm - Back To Basie Big Band featuring Jacqui Hicks. All Star award winning Big Sound Big Band playing great Basie tunes, with Shakatak Diva Jaqui Hicks on vocals. Party Party Party to a fantastic real, acoustic Big Band sound.
Monday 4th June
- 2:00pm - Alan Barnes Quartet; one off genius, musicality and charm from this true Mancurian Gent who needs no introduction to the Jazz aficionados and whose sincere musical discography of albums, awards and performances delights, entertains and educates all.
- 4:00pm - Mingus Moves featuring Toni Fofi on alto saxophone; Chris Biscoe on tenor saxophone and Henry Lowther on trumpet. Extraordinarily intense and creative outpouring based upon the work of the great Theolonias Monk.
- 6:00pm - Lianne Caroll and Ian Shaw. Stunning duet from these consummate musicians and entertainers around the grand piano.
- 8:00pm - Echoes of Ellington Big Band all star musicians playing (amongst other great Ellington tunes)“The Queen's Suite” *see footnote
*The Queens Suite
This exquisite piece of music was written by Duke Ellington, after he had met the young Queen Elizabeth II in 1958 at a private reception to mark the Bicentenary of Leeds Festival. So inspired and moved was he by the meeting that he locked himself away to compose a piece of music for her, working also with the iconic lyricist and composer Billy Strayhorn. Only one LP pressing was made and sent directly to Buckingham Palace. The music is widely regarded as one of Ellington’s most beautiful and sensitive works. Sadly it was never released during his lifetime.
At Strawberry Hill House, they are committed to providing facilities that make the day a happy and comfortable experience for all generations. Last year, their guests were so impressed, nobody had to sit upon the ground (unless they wanted to!), their substantial Chandelier-lit Marquee and plentiful seating comfortably accommodated all and coped with the temperamental complexities of the British Weather. Also they received so many compliments about their luxurious and plentiful loos! These standards are part of Strawberry Hill's Festival Ethos and will be continued into 2012.
In 2011 the weather did indeed turn to rain but they still had a full Marquee to the very end of the concert as entranced people enjoyed the wonderful music, atmosphere local real Ale, chilled strawberry cider and a great Barbecue from the Strawberry Hill café.
The Jubilee Jazz Festival at Strawberry Hill House will be bigger and better than our first festival and we welcome the very young, alongside the young of heart to celebrate this very special weekend in Twickenham at the heart of our Royal Borough.
We Sincerely hope that you will join us!