About Richmond:
Richmond


Historically, Richmond was once part of the nearby town of Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey - until the 1960's where it became part of London - and was known as 'Shene', a word with various spellings and used by the Anglo-Saxons to express their admiration for the area, with its green hills and the glittering silver river snaking its way through. It is not listed in the Domesday Book, but it is depicted on a map as 'Sceon' - one of it's AD950 Anglo-Saxon spellings. It wasn't until Henry VII's reign, when he had Richmond Palace built and named in honour of his Earldom and ancestral home of Richmond Castle, Yorkshire, that 'Shene' became 'Richmond'.

The area prospered and became popular with the nobility and Royalty as a Summer retreat, away from the bustling centre of London, and soon became an area of residence due to its proximity to the Thames, which was used as a major transport link to the city. This growth of the town spread and had a positive affect on the growth and development of the nearby villages.

Richmond has been blessed with an abundance of green and open spaces, and its view has been deemed so special that it is uniquely protected by an act of Parliament since 1902. To the east and south lies Richmond Park, and the town itself has a number of chain and independent shops catering to all interests and needs. There are also a number of restaurants, bars, pubs and cafes to dine at. Entertainment venues include Richmond Theatre, the Orange Tree Theatre and The Puppet Theatre Barge, which is available in the Summer months.

The town has a convenient number of transport links, including buses, taxis and trains and is little more than an hour's walk at most to the nearest village of Kew. There are a number of points of interest and historical buildings that dot the area, including remnants of Richmond Palace.